The Vietnam Veteran ‘Military Brat’ Challenge Coins

In conjunction with the Vietnam Veteran Appreciation Event here in Toledo, OH last week (4-9 Jun 2013) I was afforded the opportunity to hand out Vietnam Veteran Military Brat Challenge Coins.

VVC

The idea evolved from an initiative of mine to get the Congress to authorize a Commemorative Congressional Lapel Pin for ‘Military Brats.’  Our thought was to create awareness for the contributions and sacrifices of Military Brats to our country.  They ‘serve’ also…  There is currently legislation before Congress, HR 1889, Children of Military Service Members Commemorative Lapel Pin Act to create such a pin for our kids.  (They call us ‘the children of military service members’ because they are uncomfortable with the term, ‘brat.’  Well, okay!)

Mr. Duke Wheeler, a neighbor and friend, has supported me with my idea ever since I first presented it to him; and for that, I am very grateful.  He was the “driver” behind the Wall coming to Toledo for the Vietnam Veteran Appreciation Event (hitherto, and from within, forever known now to man throughout the ages as, “The Event.”)  As things began to come together Duke approached me and asked if I would like to hand out Vietnam Vet/Military Brat challenge coins at the Event.  Well, sure I would… “Do we have any?” I wondered.

It took about a week or so to come up with a design.  The back of the coin was easy: Vietnam – a handful of bamboo and a dragon would work fine.  The front was a bit trickier.

We wanted to use a ‘likeness’ of the Vietnam War Memorial.  To do this we needed ‘permission.’  Duke took care of that.  Then I felt I wanted the Air Force represented.  So, we added a ‘jet’ on the coin, for “top cover.”  I am thrilled with what we came up with!

Coins2

Me, and my friend, Duke…

Coin

The coins held briefly in our hands, now in the hands of Vietnam Vets “Military Brats…”

I am not sure (yet) how many coins we handed out, but I can tell you, they were very well received…

This entry was posted in Air Force Brats, Air Warriors. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Vietnam Veteran ‘Military Brat’ Challenge Coins

1. kari yaney says:

i am very thankful for the coin i received on friday at the vietnam memorial wall event. it was very surprising when i was approached and handed the coin. my dad is a vietnam veteran i am very proud og him but its something he never talked about. i will cherish this coin forever. when i was handed this coin it never occured to me to ask for two more for my brothers but after i left i thought about it. do you know how or where i could get two more to give to my brothers? thank you again

2. Richard G Daigre Jr says:

An excellent design. Much better than the ones with the new USAF logo and the ones that say “along for the ride”. Please send me information on how I can obtain one for myself and each of my two brothers (if this is not possible, so be it). I am presently transportationally challenged. “Military Brat” is a term I am proud of; not as much as supporting with those who serve and have served our country. It actually brings a smile to my face and warmth to my whole body knowing that my father taught us through his actions and brought culture to our lives so that we can educate others less fortunate or less inclined to leave their “nest”. Never forgetting through actions has always been important to myself and brothers.
    Thank you all for your service and sacrifices.
    Respectfully, R G Daigre Jr

3. Linda Collins says:

Love it! I also would like to purchase for myself and siblings. Please let me know how.

• Cheeta17 says:

Hello Linda, I have 22 of these particular coins remaining. If you would like one, or two or whatever, please sent a check for $12.00 each to: Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd, Whitehouse, OH 43571, and I’ll send them out. This includes postage. Might be a good idea to let me know how many you would like… Cheers, Bob

• Mike Post says:

Hello Bob!
        What a fantastic idea…wish my father was still alive to know about this, I am sure he would love it!
        I need at least two, do have any left?
        Thank you on many levels and all my best to you and your family!
        Mike Post
        321-576-2032

• Cheeta17 says:

Evening Mike, I can hold 2 for you. Pls send check to: Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd., Whitehouse, OH 43571.

Thanks! And thank you for your kind words… Cheers!

4. Shirley Bosse says:

I Lonely Pilot Bob.
    I saw your Vietnam Vet Brat Challenge Coin on a Military Brat Facebook page and would like to purchase one. My dad volunteered and served twice.
    Can you let me know how I can do this? It would be a special coin to add to my collection.
    Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you,
    Shirley Bosse
    Proud AF Brat daughter

• Cheeta17 says:

Hi Shirley, I have 22 of these particular coins remaining. If you would like one, or two or whatever, please sent a check for $12.00 each to: Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd, Whitehouse, OH 43571, and I’ll send them out. This includes postage. Might be a good idea to let me know how many you would like… Cheers, Bob

• Delisa says:

I would like 5 if possible. Please let me know if you have that many available and I will put a check in the mail immediately thank you.

• Cheeta17 says:

I will hold 5 for you at $12.00 each. Send check to: Bob Holliker 10324 Obee Rd., Whitehouse, OH 43571 Thanks you…

• Kathy Dale says:

do you still have any left? I would love to have one. I can send you a check today. Please let me know if still available

thanks

Kathy dale

• Cheeta17 says:

Kathy, I will hold one for you. Please send a check for $12 to: Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd., Whitehouse, OH 43571. Thanks…

5. Stanley Bonta says:

Does anyone know if any of these challenge coins are still being made?

• Cheeta17 says:

Hey Stanley, I have 22 of these particular coins remaining. If you would like one, or two or whatever, please sent a check for $12.00 each to: Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd, Whitehouse, OH 43571, and I’ll send them out. This includes postage. Might be a good idea to let me know how many you would like… Cheers, Bob

6. Margaret Williams says:

I just saw a post on a Facebook page – Brats: Our Journey Home, by someone who received one of these coins. My father served in Vietnam in 1968 and I had never heard of these coins even when they were given out in 2013.

I would love to be able to get one of these coins. I wish they had been offered at other places.

• Cheeta17 says:

Afternoon Margaret, I have 22 of these particular coins remaining. If you would like one, or two or whatever, please sent a check for $12.00 each to: Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd, Whitehouse, OH 43571, and I’ll send them out. This includes postage. Might be a good idea to let me know how many you would like… Cheers, Bob

BTW: The company that made these went out of business…

7. Elizabeth Respess says:

I would like two coins, if you still have any. One for my brother and one for myself. Please let me know if this is possible.

• Cheeta17 says:

I will hold 2 coins for you. Pls send a check to Bob Holliker, 10324 Obee Rd., Whitehouse, OH 43571. They are $12 each. Thank you…